The historical development of santa maría cathedral is linked to that of the city.

700 - 1150 ad

700-800 The first evidence of a stable settlement at the top of the gasteiz hill is documented.
1000 The first streets are paved in stone.
1100 The first walled enclosure of villasuso is built.
1150 The first romanesque-style church of santa maría is built attached to the walls.

1200 - 1700 ad

1200 The foundations are laid for what will become the current church
1200-1250 The works for the new church are well advanced. The original Romanesque stonework can be demolished and the new church consecrated.
1300-1400 The envelope of the church is completed. The triforium is advancing and the high timber vaults are constructed. The Chapel of Santiago is built.
1498 The former parish acquires the title of collegiate church. The triforium is completed and the wooden vaults are replaced by stone ones.
1500-1700 Chapels are opened and the vaults of the portico and the original sacristy are built. Construction of the bell tower begins. The first structural problems become apparent during this period.

1700 - 2024 ad

1700-1750 A new enclosure is constructed with graves for the deceased. The tower and sacristy are completed and the structural problems become more evident.
1862 The former collegiate church receives the title of cathedral.
1960-1967 The first comprehensive restoration plan is drawn up by Manuel Lorente.
1994 The building is closed to the public due to the structural problems detected.
1998 The Cathedral Rehabilitation Master Plan is presented at the First European Congress on Restoration of Gothic Cathedrals, held in Vitoria.
1999 The current structural rehabilitation and the Open for Works visit programme begin.
2014 Open for worship.